Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Love Triangle: Words, Images and Me

This is ground zero for where I direct my restless mind...

Should I write?
or
Should I draw?


or, maybe I should design something, like a website or a logo. (after all, I am a graphic design professor and dream in typography).

For most of my life it was all about art, (see Fairy-tale book, Exhibit A: early influences) with a random scattering of words thrown in for fun. But now my two loves, art and writing, have to share a room (or a bed) in my frenzied mind. It's not always pretty. Sometimes they fight, throw things around and compete for my attention. Art is kind of jealous of Words. But I feel I owe her some quality time. For the past years, Words were hogging all the face time. But that just didn't seem fair. Or natural. So I decided the best way to unite my two true loves is to write and illustrate a picture book.

This is the one illustration I've done so far for a book I'm calling BREATH, based on a dream I had as a very small kid. I'd like to self-publish. I'm thinking this is the best way to do them all; draw, write, and design. Will anyone want it? I don't really care, to be honest. At the very least I'll have a cool gift to give to my future grandkids.

So tell me what you think. I could use some encouragement.

This would be the half-title spread

11 comments:

  1. I think the drawing is beautiful, Lis!! I'd love to see more of your art!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so BEAUTIFUL...and to answer the question...BOTH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, that is a beautiful painting and I think it's an awesome idea to write and illustrate your own picture books. I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING. You're far too wonderful not to go the traditional route.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful art. Self-published or traditional?My guess from the quality is that you'll have your pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Very encouraging, indeed. I feel my muse stirring. But wait—there's a pillow fight! And we have a winner! I think today is a writing day. But Art is content, having gotten such lovely praise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know that my opinion counts for anything, but I think it's beautiful! I would definitely love to see more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picture, and I think you should let those creative juices flow as they will. I made myself a follower since, hey, you love art, writing, Suzanne Collins and Libba Bray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fantastic, Lisa! Definitely do that picture book, it'll be brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can one person be so darn talented?! This is lovely and deserves to be seen by more children than your future grand-babies.

    ReplyDelete